2010年4月12日 星期一

Reflection on week 10: Technology in testing: the present and the future.

This paper is about the advantages and disadvantages of computer-based language tests (CBTs). For advantages, for example, firstly, CBTs is different to the traditional pencil and paper tests. It helps saving paper because people only need a computer and an internet to do the test. Secondly, there is no restriction of time. It means people have choice of doing it anytime and anywhere they prefer. Thirdly, people do not need to force staying in an area such as a big room to do the test and not need to do it in front of others. For disadvantages, for example, firstly, CBTs limit in item type such as multiple choice questions are the most convenient test item type for CBTs. Secondly, a degree of computer literacy is required because test takers need to follow instructions in order to take a test. Knowing how to use a mouse or knowing some keyboard features is essential.

I had an experience of taking CBTs when I was taking my bachelor degree in Australia. I forgot which course was it about. But I needed to finish a 30 questions test in a period of time. I did it at home as I remember. However, not only me, my colleagues took the same course could cheat easily. The reason is that I needed to press "submit" when I finished the test. I could just press "cancel" if I was not quite ready after I started the CBTs. Or I could ask tips from people who just finished the test earlier. Then I could get more information about the test. Therefore, although CBTs are convenient, it is not that "valid" in my point of view.

3 則留言:

  1. Hey Feebe, it's Margaret. Do you think CBTs are useful as an assessment device? Or do you think going the old fashion way by going into a classroom and using pen and paper is better? I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and you are right about the cheating part, even if you don't do it, it is hard to stop others from doing it. So at the end you won't know if the students have learnt something or someone else has done the work for them.

    回覆刪除
  2. I didn't have any experiece on CBTs. Your comments are very reasonable.
    Actually I don't like looking at the screen for a long time, thus I prefer the traditional testing method.

    回覆刪除
  3. I didn't have any experience on computer-based tests, and you just give me another example about CBT besides TOEFL, a real example that can help understand the reading better. The advantages listed in the reading interest me a lot and if there is any opportunities, I want to have a try myself.

    回覆刪除